Welcome to Our Newsletters!
DO NOT TRUST “NATURAL FLAVORING” AS A SAFE INGREDIENT! For example, you have probably never heard of castoreum, which is “used extensively in perfumery and has been added to food as a flavor ingredient for at least 80 years.” In the U.S., castoreum is allowed to be listed as “natural flavoring.” Castoreum, my friends, is a bitter, orange-brown, odoriferous, oily secretion, found in two sacs between the anus and the external genitals of beavers! No list of specific foods containing castoreum exists anywhere. Why? Well, would you buy a food product if you knew it contained beaver anal glands? Castoreum IS present in foods and beverages like ice cream, yogurt, and soda, and you and I will never know about nor will any food manufacture divulge this info if you contact them. They will inform you that THEY never add castoreum to their foods and beverages. If pressed, they will probably add they can’t, of course, speak for their vendors, who supply them with flavorings containing ingredients that are proprietary information. Foods and beverages containing castoreum extract are Alcoholic Beverages; Baked Goods; Gelatins, Puddings; Soft and hard Candy; Frozen Dairy; Chewing Gum. The point is if you prefer not to have unknown ingredients such as beaver anal glands in your bodies, stay away from products that use the catch-all “natural flavoring.”
THE PET CORNER
Although you are (hopefully) reading the ingredients on the food you buy to feed your family, are you reading the ingredients on your pet’s food even if it’s organic? From The Cornucopia Institute: “Overall, the pet food industry is failing its customers as a provider of nutritious, wholesome food for our dogs and cats. As a whole, it could be viewed as a waste disposal vehicle for human food manufacturers, exhibiting disregard for the health of its customers.”
The Top 6 Things To Stop Feeding Your Pets:
- Food-Grade Carrageenan – They found that more than 70% of canned pet foods contain this additive. It is linked to intestinal complications and inflammation. Synthetic Preservatives – This is why some pet food has a shelf life for 25 years! BHA, BHT, propyl gallate, propylene glycol, or ethoxyquin are common preservatives in pet food linked to serious health issues – such as organ damage and cancer.
- BPA – The lining inside cans of pet food contains this endocrine disruptor that mimics hormones and can lead to cancer, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
- Artificial Food Dyes – Do you think your pet cares what color their food is? These dyes can cause allergic reactions, hyperactivity, organ damage and cancer.
- Grains – Remember, cats and dogs are carnivores so their food should be primarily meat, and grains aren’t necessary. Fillers like corn, wheat, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, and brewer’s rice should not be listed in the first few ingredients (if at all) to ensure that a product is mostly meat.
- Meat Byproducts – Pet food regulations allow the use of meat from animals that died
- “otherwise than by slaughter”. Although the pet industry denies it (of course) there is testimony that this allows for dead pets (dogs, cats) from shelters or roadkill to be added to pet food and that some companies actually engage in this practice. The FDA has also found residues from a drug that’s used to euthanize animals in 30 different samples of pet food, which is evidence that euthanized animals are ending up in cans. This can lead to degenerative neurological diseases in pets. Avoid These Pet Foods: 9 Lives: Tender Morsels; Whiskas: Trays and Pouches; Friskies: Pate; Purina ProPlan: All formulas; Iams Proactive Health: Pate, Filets; Royal Canin: Feline Health Nutrition; Hill’s: Science Diet, Ideal Balance Natural.
If you feed your animals healthy, holistic food, in the long run, you will save beaucoup $$’s rather than spending it at the Vets.
TO EAT EGGS OR NOT TO EGGS
I know I have spoken about eggs before, but it still seems a question in some minds about their value. Eggs might just be the easiest, cheapest and most versatile way to up your protein intake. Many studies have demonstrated the effect of high-protein foods on appetite. Simply put, they take the edge off and will help you feel full. Eggs have also been linked with fat loss. They’re loaded with amino acids, antioxidants, and iron. Don’t just reach for the whites, though; the yolks boast a fat-fighting nutrient called choline, so opting for whole eggs can actually help you trim down. You should be buying free-range and organic. These are certified by the USDA and are free from antibiotics, vaccines, and hormones. The shell color differences still have the same nutritional value.
1. YOU’LL REDUCE YOUR RISK OF HEART DISEASE: LDL cholesterol became known as “bad” cholesterol because LDL particles transport their fat molecules into artery walls, and basically gum up of the arteries. (HDL particles, by contrast, can remove fat molecules from artery walls.) But not all LDL particles are made equal, and there are various subtypes that differ in size. Bigger is definitely better — many studies have shown that people who have predominantly small, dense LDL particles have a higher risk of heart disease than people who have mostly large LDL particles. Here’s the beauty part: Even if eggs tend to raise LDL cholesterol in some people, studies show that the LDL particles change from small and dense to large, slashing the risk of cardiovascular problems. Eggs seem to raise HDL (good) cholesterol while increasing the size of LDL particles.
2. YOU’LL BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM Just one large egg contains almost a quarter (22%) of your RDA of selenium, a nutrient that helps support your immune system and regulate thyroid hormones. If children and adolescents don’t get enough selenium, it can affect the heart, bones, and joints.
3. YOU’LL HAVE MORE GET-UP-AND-GO AND YOUR SKIN AND HAIR WILL IMPROVE: Just one egg contains about 15% of your RDA of vitamin B2, also called riboflavin. It’s just one of eight B vitamins, which all help the body to convert food into fuel, which in turn is used to produce energy. B-complex vitamins are also necessary for healthy skin, hair, eyes, and liver. (In addition to vitamin B2, eggs are also rich in B5 and B12.) They also help to ensure the proper function of the nervous system.
4. YOU’LL PROTECT YOUR BRAIN: Eggs are brain food due to an essential nutrient called choline. It’s a component of cell membranes and is required to synthesize acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. Studies have shown that a lack of choline has been linked to neurological disorders and decreased cognitive function. More than 90% of Americans eat less than the daily recommended amount of choline.
5. YOU’LL HAVE LESS STRESS AND ANXIETY: The body can make 11 essential amino acids, which are necessary to sustain life. Thing is, there are 20 essential amino acids that your body needs. Guess where the other 9 can be found? That’s right. A lack of those 9 amino acids can lead to muscle wasting, decreased immune response, weakness, fatigue, and changes to the texture of your skin and hair. Eat an egg!
6. YOU’LL PROTECT YOUR EYES AND IMPROVE YOUR BONES AND TEETH: Two antioxidants found in eggs —lutein and zeaxanthin — have powerful protective effects on the eyes. They only exist in the yolk. The antioxidants significantly reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts. Eggs are one of the few natural sources of Vitamin D, which is important for the health and strength of bones and teeth. It does this primarily by aiding the absorption of calcium which is important for a healthy heart, colon, and metabolism.
COTTON AND PERSONAL HYGIENE PRODUCTS
A new study at the University of La Plata in Argentina found that about 85% of cotton products such as gauze, cotton balls, feminine products like pads and tampons, baby wipes, kleenex, etc. tested positive for glyphosate. Another even more staggering finding is that 62% of the tested products had traces of AMPA, an environmental metabolite aminomethylphosphonic acid that is a derivative of glyphosate and is potentially one thousand times more toxic than glyphosate. “The results of this research are very serious. When you use cotton or gauze to heal wounds or for personal hygiene, you do this thinking that the products are sterilized, but in fact, you are using
products contaminated with a carcinogenic substance,” said pediatrician Vazquez Medardo Avila, part of the Network of Medical Professions. The production of GMO cotton has become very common in several countries, including Argentina and the United States, where farmers were sold on using Monsanto’s GMO seeds and agrochemical products, with the promise of higher yields. During the process of growing GMO cotton, where the plants were designed to withstand the application of glyphosate
found in the common herbicide Roundup, farmers are spraying the chemicals onto the plants when the cotton bud is open. This means that Roundup goes straight into the part of the plant that is then used to produce your personal hygiene products.
MORE IMPORTANT INFO ON COCONUT WATER AND OIL
Some coconut water companies get away with saying their drinks contain “100% Coconut Water” that’s “All Natural” even though it’s made from reconstituted concentrate. They heat fresh coconut water and reduce it to a syrup. It’s cheaper for them to import this coconut water syrup, which they later add water prior to packaging. Any juice that has been heated to this extent loses a significant amount of its nutrients and its beneficial enzymes are denatured (i.e. the enzymes don’t work anymore). Look for coconut water from YOUNG coconuts with nothing added and never heat
pasteurized and ideally organic (otherwise the coconuts may have been dipped in chemicals). We DO NOT recommend Naked Juice, O.N.E., Zico, CocoZona, Vita Coco, GOYA, C2O, Purity Organic, Coco Libre Organic, Munkijo Organic, CoCo Hydro, Taste Nirvana, Trader Joe’s to name a few. We DO RECOMMEND Harmless Harvest (organic), Juice Press, Exotic Superfoods, Liquitera, Vital Juice, Unoco, and Suja/Tropicaloe (found in Whole Foods with other juices mixed in) All are organic. Use
these instead of Gatorade, Powerade or other unhealthy drinks.
On the other hand, if you are like us and love coconut products, we’ve got some alarming news for you. While pure coconut oil is still a-okay to use for skincare, cooking, and the like, SFGate reported recently that a chemically modified form of coconut oil found in personal-care products (from shampoo to body wash to hair color) is a known carcinogen! Please avoid the following ingredients on any coconut oil products. According to a study by the International Agency for Research on Cancer Cocamide, DEA, Cocamide MEA, DEA-cetyl phosphate, DEA oleth-3 phosphate,
Lauramide DEA, Linoleamide MEA, Myristamide DEA, Oleamide DEA, Stearamide MEA, TEA-lauryl sulfate, and Triethanolamine are all dangerous.
A report prepared by the Security Council (SCRF) circulating in the Kremlin today states that President Putin has issued orders that his people must be protected from GMO “food” and Western pharmaceuticals “at all costs.” The report says that President Putin believes the next stage of human evolution is currently in “grave risk” and that Western and global powers are “intentionally decelerating the process for their personal gain.”
I LOVE SALMON, but I won’t eat it any longer. As you know it is now a big GMO product and isn’t being labeled as such. Every time we eat GMO food we are taking part in a massive global experiment without our consent. Farmed salmon was bad enough, but THIS is despicable. You can choose to eat Wild Alaskan salmon, but the other tragedy is that our oceans, particularly our beautiful Pacific Ocean has been destroyed by radiation leaking from Fukushima, though you will never see that fact on
the local news.
I have written a lot about THE DANGERS OF SUGAR, but I must harp on it a bit further. Like I said before, that smoothie you’re sipping for lunch may contain more than two dozen teaspoons of sugar. The piece of restaurant cheesecake? Three dozen. Sadly, sugar is now found in 80 percent of the food we eat, and it’s appearing in increasingly high ratios. From ballooning bellies to tarnishing teeth, here are some ways the “sugar creep,” is wreaking havoc on our health. Even if you are careful with not consuming hidden sugars found in so-called healthy foods, such as baked beans, cereal, yogurt, juice and sports drinks, a high-sugar diet is no less than horrifying. You can develop fatty liver disease and incur early type 2 diabetes and increased heart-disease risks. Not to mention a potbelly quickly packing on pounds especially around your waist—even though you exercise the same amount as before. You can suffer from moodiness, sugar cravings and crashes, a decreased attention span and hyperactivity followed by lethargy. The type of sugar you ingest matters, but all sugars can affect you. However, fructose, rather than glucose, increases visceral fat. Sugar belly is a real thing: it’s the body fat that is stored within the abdominal cavity and is therefore stored around a number of important internal organs, such as the liver, pancreas, and intestines. It can
have a dangerous effect on how our hormones function. The amounts are shockingly high. The Cheesecake Factory Black-out Cake has 38 teaspoons of added sugar per serving, Starbucks Java Chip Frappuccino (venti) has 18.5 added teaspoons, and a Jamba Juice Banana Berry (power size) has 33.5 added teaspoons. Most women should get no more than 100 calories (3 teaspoons) a day from added sugars. Most men should get no more than 150 calories (4.5 teaspoons). Create new habits and have urgent cravings for a big salad, dressed with oil and vinegar. You can have a treat of dark chocolate made with 72% cacao. Although one spoonful of sugar may make
the medicine go down, too many spoonfuls and you will soon need a medical intervention!